Thursday 30 September 2010

Autumn day: Alfie's Antique market

Sun was shining after a few days of depressing wintery dark days where I was trying to get used to having to turn on the light even before 7pm. So I dragged myself for a refreshing Autumn walk (well, cycle that was) via Regent's canal to visit Alfie's Antique market on Church Street NW8 (near Edgeware Road/St John's Wood). http://www.alfiesantiques.com/index.php
Regent's canal

This is the route I cycle to evening classes (AAT accounting) and I love the canal cycling, I have to try hard not to fall into the canal though as it has this mirroring effect to pull me there!
Off the topic, but I have a series of photos called "Kage-e" (means shadow-pictures in Japanese) here, I'm interested in perspectives in reflections.
Kage-e

Alfie's Antique Market was somewhere I wanted to go but hadn't, and it turned out so pretty and great place to snoop around. It's a little like how Camden market (Antique bits at the Stables) used to be until they built concrete buildings and in compensate the "mood" they just left many iron horses (well, this is because it used to be a horse hospital, but I'm not a bit pleased with how they developed and kicked out many good old dealers)




It has 4 floors full of antique clothes, lights, furniture, collectibles, even has a kitsch and cool hairdresser, if you're going out on a vintage themed nights or swing dance for a hair-do, visit them!
They have a nice terrace cafe also (this is an important point = I love places with good cafes I can daydream).
I also found a leather brown bag I was looking for for ages here, and yes I did bargained it.
One thing I missed was to visit one of the Time Out voted best coffee places here on Church Street, Indie Coffee, I couldn't find it plus it was after 3pm when they close. Church Street has many other antique shops and markets, so I'll keep this a reason to visit again soon.
Some trees are producing bright red leaves and I love this season where I walk crunching on the variety of coloured leaves under my feet.
Back home, writing this, while I wait for Nigel Slater's recipe of Blueberry and Peach cake gets baked.
Have a wonderful Autumn!

No comments: