Sunday 26 September 2010

Fuyuko Matsui's Nihonga 松井冬子の日本画 



As I was just clicking away from someone's blog to another via some good findings on music, I bumped into Fuyuko Matsui's drawings and I just couldn't breathe!
I had seen her works before (on computer screen) and it left me with some owe, but unfortunately I forgot how to search anymore until it came back to me today, that I HAD TO put it up here.
She seems almost a cult art beauty figure (she really...is stunningly beautiful) in Japan appearing on fashion magazines and TV documentaries, yet reading her interview, she is very firm about who she is, what she does, not caring what people think (some people are trying to make her a model, celebrity etc).
I feel so gutted about not making to her Paris solo exhibition I could have gone since I was there!! Arrghh...
I totally love her world of, sinister, grotesque, dark, yet beautifully seductive, enticing drawings. I am not a big fan of modern pop art with computer-made/like pieces (modern in terms of "now" than Warhol time) like Takashi Murakami, maybe I'm old?! more like because I consider art to be something appealing to our bare human senses to feel something presented in some shapes (sound, vision, experiences) by someone's mind. 
In that sense, I know very well why I am attracted to Fuyuko Matsui's world for many reasons.
Firstly, her technique of drawing is heavily influenced by Old Japanese drawings called Nihon-ga (history of it as old as 500-1000 AC) we could still see in temples and shrines, often only black ink (called Suiboku-ga) drawn on Fusuma (paper doors which divides rooms in traditional Japanese houses), this must appeal to my Japanese identity and Japanese appreciation of "delicate, simple, natural, refined" art. Secondly, I love people challenging the boundaries, some of her works depict guts, deaths and it makes us uneasy and scared. Juxtapositions of what's commonly beautiful and ugly, peace and war, fresh and decay are all done for centuries, but I love the uneasy feeling "there is something out there, watching you, but you can't see it" way of haunting piece of art like a ghost.
It's not about finding out answers, making senses, but about knowing there is incomprehensible world just beyond the square (pictures, screens, cards, heads) and knowing the existence of it and the curiosity to know/peek are the beauty of some artists can take us. 
http://matsuifuyuko.com/

2 comments:

giorgio bormida said...

Poetic...
Wonderful,Wonderful Art.
Thanks Fuyuko

AkaTako said...

The art of Fuyuko Matsui truly is stunning. I felt the same way when I opened up one of her books and saw her paintings the first time - stunned and immobile. She combines the grotesque and the beautiful in such a wonderfully classic way.