Saturday 4 September 2010

Chocolate cake with Butter cream recipe

with the touch of marshmallow to decorate
It is my flatmate Elin's birthday today, Happy Birthday, or rather, Grattis på födelsedagen!
So this is another opportunity to bake a cake for me :)
I don't normally like chocolate or chocolate cakes (strange girl huh?), but it's her favourite, so I thought I'd have a go. And writing now in my room, a floor up from our kitchen, I'm already wrapped in the sweet smell of the chocolate.
By the way, some people don't know how to pronounce my name right, I'm a bit embarrassed but I always say, it's like "chocolate" in French, but this normally sort things out.
Also, I was just going to write about "chocolate cheesecake", I love cheesecakes and I've tried many kinds for years, but chocolate cheesecakes.. or toffee cheesecakes, I just don't understand it... WHY? 
It's like mixing Sushi and Pizza together.. I enjoy both, but not together. The flavours crash inside the mouth in my opinion. As supposed to New York cheesecake, I'd name chocolate cheesecake a "British cheesecake". 
Having said all these, I am mixing cream cheese in the chocolate cake for it produces even more dense creamy inside/crunchy outside effect.


This recipe is very basic, you can do with or without flour. (great news for wheat allergy sufferers!)
The cake itself actually turns out not sweet enough.. so I made butter cream in the last minute which made it so nice!


Ingredients:
plain/milk chocolate 150gm
butter 30gm
30 gm cocoa powder (increase to 50 if you're not using flour)
flour 20gm
cream cheese 200gm
3 eggs


(for Butter cream)
butter 70gm
sugar 50 gm
1 egg
60ml milk
(optional) 1 tbl spoon of cognac or brandy or grand manier


1: On low heat hob, boil water and melt butter, chocolate and cream cheese in a bowl over the pan, mix well
2: when creamy, take 1 out from the heat and shift in cocoa and flour and put egg yolks
3: in a separate bowl, whisk the egg white with sugar until hard enough to stand
4: slowly put 3 into 2 and mix well carefully not to destroy the fluffiness of the mix.
5: bake in 180 degree oven for 30 min


(Butter cream)
1: boil the milk and sugar in the hob until about 115degrees
2: whisk the egg white until hard merange
3: add 1 slowly into 2 continuously mixing (never stop!)
4: soften the butter until white then mix in egg yolk and spirit
5: slowly mix 3 into 4 and beat into cream form
(don't worry if it curdles, just beat and beat! if necessary, drain out the liquid)


Slice the cake into 2 and spread the cream and chill in the fridge before surving


Bon apetit!



No comments: