Monday 20 September 2010

All about Coffee Coffee Coffee

When did I fisrt really like coffee?!
We in Japan since we were all kids, we would drink what we called "Milk coffee" comes in a glass bottle with a paper cap. I used to love having it after visiting a public bath where they sell milk coffees and ice creams. So maybe my roots in coffee is there.
Coffee Milk aka "Ko-hi milku"
But I never liked black coffee, can I call myself a coffee lover even when I can't drink it in black (the purest coffee form in..coffee)?
Anyhow, I am always in search of good coffees and cafes where they serve good coffees, latte, that is as that's what I call coffee personally.
I encountered Monmouth Coffee few years ago, and since I got my small lovely coffee machine about 3 years go, I always buy freshly ground coffee every month from them.
My friend got me a coffee grinder from Krups, now I even grind it myself from freshly roasted coffee every few days, what a way of waking up to every morning, surrounded in coffee smell and the process I never compromise even when I'm in a hurry. (Grinding, steaming the milk, brewing espresso)
Here I want to list great coffees I love and great places where they serve quality coffees.


Monmouth Espresso
http://www.monmouthcoffee.co.uk/
Very mild and irresistible smell. I always buy espresso (Colombian beans), so I should try different kinds more..












Square Mile Summer Espresso:
http://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/
My new favourite, they make seasonal roast, this is my first, 2010 Summer espresso, I bought from my local cafe, Ginger and White in Hampstead.
You can also buy from Milkbar in Soho








Sacred Coffee Espresso: New Zealand's coffee company
I bought a bag of espresso (ground) but it was ground a bit too coarse, so I couldn't get the taste I normally get from the cafes, next I shall buy the beans to test again.





These 3 are my favourite coffee to buy, then if I can't get hold of any, I would go for Illy, it won't betray you and available in most supermarkets!










Here are the list of cafes I know they do great coffees (this list should be updated regularly!) for the ones I can think of for now, that is.. (in UK/London)

-Milkbar, Soho *Good to meet up or daydream in soho

-Monmouth Coffee, Covent Garden and Borough market *Cool, busy and cosy cafe

-Sacred Coffee, off Carnaby Street and Long Acre (Covent Garden) *Reliably good quality

-Ginger and White, Hampstead *Cute/at-home cafe

-Partisserie Macaron, Clapham Common *Cute and unique cafe

-Cafe Oto, Dalston *Best music venue and cafe!

-Scandinavian Kitchen, Fitzrovia (Oxford St/Goodge St) *Cute grocer (Scandinavian) and good service/atmosphere

-Fernandez & Wells, Soho *busy but reliable service!

-Macondo, Hoxton *Reasonable dish and cakes!

-Gail's Bakery, Hampstead, Portbello *Great selection of breads and cakes

-Lanka, Primrose Hill *Great Japanese-French cakes!

-Ottolenghi, Angel, Kensington, Belgravia, Notting Hill *Sheer genius cookery!!

-Ray's Jazz Cafe, Soho (inside Foyle's book shop) *Great for meeting point and atmosphere

-Sweet, Exmouth Market (Clerkenwell) *Great selection of cakes and salads

-Brill cafe and records, Exmouth Market (Clerkenwell) *Great Iced Coffee!


-Whole Foods Ltd. Across London *Simply great selected organic food retailer

This should continue with my search! Let me know if your favourite places :)
I have to admit, that of all chain cafes, you know when you can't always go for independent cafes, (when running for trains, motorways, high streets etc) I love Pret a Manger the most, they make the closet coffee I make my own out of any other chain cafes and Soya milk option is free which is lovely.
Costa and EAT come next, but the quality of coffees are varied depending on branches and who make it, so I can't quite count.

Coffee, I can drink right before going to bed and I have no problem sleeping!

Finish with the song about "Coffee Milk" by Flipper's Guitar (Keigo Oyamada of Cornelius's former pop band in 80's Japan, great music!)


Flippers Guitar - Coffee-Milk Crazy
Found at Coffee-Milk Crazy on KOhit.net

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great selection shoko :) my favourite in London is Fernandez & Wells. I would add Flatwhite in Soho to the list and Taylor St Baristas. Talking about the taste purely :)