Tuesday 7 September 2010

Here We Go Magic at Hoxton Bar and Grill 7th Sep 2010

Last year's Here We Go Magic album "Here We Go Magic" (Western Vinyl) was one of my top 10 best 2009 album of the year.
I remember we listened to this timelessly driving on the way to Green Man Festival from London to Wales, the magic of the music somehow fitted into the twilight of the highways, nature resort country roads etc. I was simply amazed by the pure variety of pop they could squeeze in one album. Not only the favourite tune from the first album, but the song "Everything is big" went straight into one of my favourite tunes in a long time straight away.



So when I obtained their follow up second album "Pigeons" (Secretly Canadian) didn't forget to bring more sweet candy to my ear. 
This time they gave me a tune which I added to my "dance like a crazy" playlist! 

"collector"





The live was half full Hoxton Bar and Grill, without knowing much about the band in advance except the music (shame on me..) I somehow spotted Luke Temple (Vo) sitting next to me, he had some strangely good existence. (because of his summer straw hat?)
They pretty much played most of the 2 albums in just over 60 minute set, all my favourites (most importantly!) Very unforgettable melody "Fangela" was played without its signiture percussion rhythm but very neat and candypop. Song after song they would melt into this crazy synth-noise you just comfortably feel lost in, then Bang! emerge the next song like a party cracker. Excellent show.
I actually ended up going to this show alone (my friends didn't turn up) which is quite rare for me, but I knew they are not one of the bands I can't miss it, and knew that I'd be smiling and dancing alone. It had been a long time actually I was so into live music (indie/melody) I didn't give a damn about my surroundings a while, which I believe is one of the magics music can bring about (especially in a place like London where people are so used to "going to shows"=not attending 100%)  
Here are some photos of the night.
Luke Temple (vo)

No comments: