Friday 27 August 2010

Sundried Tomato in oven recipe


I absolutely love Sundried Tomato!
Yet, I find most of them "too dry" to my likeness.
My favourite one is from Sainsbury's Take The Difference range, Sun Blushed Tomatoes which is not as "dried" as Sundried, but half fresh. This range doesn't come cheap and the oil for this isn't olive oil, so I decided to make my own.
Every time I see ripened cherry/mini or normal tomatoes on reduction, I have a couples of packages and I always stock a good quality extra virgin Olive oil with me.
I have tried this recipe in one scorching hot day in June on my balcony, which took about a day and half sun light, but in this country, we are not lucky with strong sun to make this possible option..unfortunately, so stick to the oven option!

It's super easy.

Ingredients:
Tomatoes cut into slices or half if it's mini/cherry tomatoes
Italian herb mix (dried) 1 tbl spoon 
1 clove of garlic crushed or sliced
Plenty of olive oil (Extra virgin if you can) to cover
A jar
Pinch of sea salt
photo 1 (after 30 min)

1: Cut/slive the tomatoes onto a oven tray
2: sprinkle sea salt and oil over it
3: Leave in 80-100 degree oven middle shelf for 3-4 hours (photo 1) until dried as you like
4: Take out from the oven and cool down
5: Put in a jar with herbs and garlic, finally pour olive oil until the tomatoes are all covered
Done! (photo 2)
This should last a good month or so, great in salad, pasta, nibbles etc
photo 2 (after 3 1/2 hours) *bit over-done as I was out!

1 comment:

Joyti said...

Sounds delicious! I usually crowd my tomatoes in when roasting...and use them for pasta. But yours look more versatile and delicious!