Saturday 21 August 2010

Necco Japanese canteen/Japas review

Ok, after all this time, I realized that I am very picky/fussy and very Foody person I can't stop talking about food topics both cooking and dining out.
So I decided to dedicate the topics here.
I will review the food I ate and I post photos and recipe on those I cook.
Welcome to the first blog!

Necco
(Japanese Cafe Bar)
52-54 Exmouth Market, London EC1R 4QE
0207-713-8575
www.necco.co.uk

Necco is a new Japanese canteen/cafe/Japas in Exmouth Market.
I popped in as I was helping my friend's shop Family Tree opposite the bar and I can't ignore any new Japanese restaurant/Sushi bar.. Mind you, being Japanese especially from Osaka (the kitchen of Japan) I can be very critical about food.
The decor is all done in Pink! very pink indeed from menu to chairs to walls and signs etc.
Necco (neko) is "cat" in Japanese.
The staff are friendly, I'm impressed with the ideas on menu. Japas (small size dishes to nibble to accompany the drinks or when you're little hungry) and Japanese cakes (Matcha Green tea cakes) and Sake/Shochu wines and lunch boxes and Sushi selection.
I love the idea in general of a place where you can have just tea, coffee and cake, lunch, nibble or full dinner.
I had California roll sushi take away. Made to order. Very reasonable £2.50 for 6 pieces.
I also tried their lunch bento box you can pick one small dish, one main dish comes with portion of rice (white or brown) and pickles for £5. The main/side dish changes daily and they all cook on site, it's like having your mom behind the kitchen, very homey food we tend to cook.
Down side of for me is that, the quality of the food I had (Chicken Teriyaki, Curry, chilli spiced Aubergine) were all something I could cook at home maybe better.. Curry especially was very blunt and tasteless stew.
So my verdict is, good for lunches when you want choices of home cooking Japanese and tea/coffee with home made cakes, but not a praised restaurant quality. The shop decor is a bit too much mish-mush tastes all thrown together too which I didn't like well.

Verdict (5 star being best ☆is half a star)
Food quality: ★★☆
Price:★★★
Service:★★★☆
Interior/Decor:★★
Menu:★★★
Overall points:★★★ (3)

No comments: