Tuesday 24 August 2010

Oliver's Fish and Chips review

Oliver's
95 Haverstock Hill, London NW3 4RL
0207 586 9945
http://www.oliversfishandchips.com

This is my very local new celebrated place, good old fish'n'chips diner.
Very cute (bit too posh to be called a "chippy") decor and fresh fish made by people who cares about food.
I call this particular block of street a "dead spot" (except for ever so great Sir Richard Steel's pub next door-one of my favourite pubs-), because it's 10 min up from all the attraction of Camden and 20min to Hampstead, very residential otherwise, anyone passing by would be local people only. This used to be one of the only kebab houses in NW3 and it was bad business then, it was all empty all the time and it closed after less than a year. Posh people don't need to stuff their mouths with deep fried unknown objects after drinking? There are so many Sushi places than Chips or Chicken places in NW3.
Then there came Oliver's Fish & Chips.
I was excited to go and try from the day they were still furnishing the place as soon as I could manage to read with my tilted neck through half covered glass "Fish and Chips" sign.

As well as traditional Chippy menu of Cod, Haddock (£5.50), Mushy peas (£1), Curry sauce (£1), they even have Northern speciality Deep fried Mars bar (£1.50) !! and they have little cosmopolitan menu as Open Ciabbata Specials (Grilled fish, Salad, Chips and a piece of toasted Ciabbata £6.95-8.95) and Cod bites in corn etc.
I had the traditional Cod and regular chips with curry sauce today.
I can tell that Cod was fresh and very good quality, battered in thick golden crust and chips as it should be. I was probably served a fish which was fried 30~60 min ago, and this crucial time left some marks.. It wasn't as freshly fried crunchy as I expected and I needed to put a lot of Tartar sauce and vinegar. Curry sauce was pretty spicy, so I was surprised since my love of chip shop curry to be very stewy mild like Japanese curry. Mushy peas are good and sweet, but lacked salt, I guess this all means all are fresh and served without much seasoning to enjoy the wholesomeness of the food.
I can easily become obsessed with food, so I have to say my expectation was too high.
Yet, for the price, quality, service,decor, menu, it's totally a celebration of "Good Old Fish'n'Chips" with impressive effort and attention.
I will definitely go back and try the Ciabbata special next, I can see myself going back not too long from now already!


Verdict (5 star being best ☆is half a star)
Food quality: ★★★★
Price:★★★★
Service:★★★★
Interior/Decor:★★★★☆
Menu:★★★★☆
Overall points:★★★★(4.1)






No comments: