Wednesday 25 August 2010

The Hinds Head pub meal review (Bray, Berkshire)


The Hind's Head
High St, Bray, Berkshire
SL6 2AB
01628 626151
http://www.thehindsheadhotel.com



I was curious as everyone is about Heston's Fat Duck restaurant.
I think you still need to book in advance for over 6 months.. and the course menu is £150 per head with service charge, oh well.. when I'm rich sometimes..
My friend Haruka took me to Heston's pub The Hind's Head which is opposite Fat Duck in a small village Bray for a nice lunch one afternoon as my birthday present (how sweet!) few weeks back.
There is no singing puddings or bleeding deer meat or edible snow or stone etc here, it's rather quintessential British gastro pub menu.

I had 3 course set for £30, fish cakes for a starter, then moved onto Sausage and Mash, then I had legendary Quaking pudding (very old recipe that only available here) which is actually shaky and wobbles like what Heston did in his Medieval banquet on TV. 
Fish cakes were delicate and with good homemade tartar sauce, Sausage and Mash was, well, pretty normal to my taste but mash was gorgeous, I can tell they use only good potatoes and good butter and maybe some cheese? then Quaking pudding was something to "experience". Served warm and the introduction of its history was shown before on a nice piece of paper and lovely waitresses would tell you the history. It's like Panna Cotta with chai flavour (Cinnamon and Cardamon etc).
fish cakes
Quaking Pudding














I personally couldn't eat all of it, it was too milky and flavoury. (No photo on Sausage sorry, I was busy eating!)
The pub has very lovely atmosphere, very old wooden interior throughout with its own history (built in 15th century).

Bray village was so small with merely 2 pubs and a church, 1 hospital and 2 shops, we were expecting to leisuring around whole day in a country but we were done after an hour walk after the lunch.
To burn the lunch out, we walked back to the Maidenhead station (30min walk).
Thanks Haruka!

Verdict (5 star being best ☆is half a star)
Food quality: ★★★☆
Price:★★★☆
Service:★★★★
Interior/Decor:★★★★
Menu:★★★★
Overall points:★★★★(3.8)

No comments: