Sunday 19 July 2009

When I feel "English"

There are some occasions that I feel like an English person than Japanese..
I thought it'd be funny to list these up when I had one of those moments today,
I was crossing a road, off course my side of traffic light was red, I was waiting for the cars to pass so I can cross when one of them was sooo slow I had to actually stop than keep walking snail-speed which was annoying then my mind was saying "Go on, go! are you slow-motion or something?!"
which wasn't nice of me even only in my head... this is more of a Londoner I guess for being hasty (also my home town Osaka has the same reputation for being the fastest walking people in Japan) always in a hurry and short-tempered.
This is why I need to take some time off from my "city" and "robot-commuter" mode and feel more relaxed and happier.

There are moments I feel "English"

1; When I'm commenting ("tsukkomi" in Japanese comedy term )unconsciously in English, especially in jokes. (like above case) and when I swear.

2; When abroad, I expect others to speak English in order to communicate (well, but I have to add, I try to speak native languages also)

3; Loving Japanese foods too much and actually accept the quality of some street sushi chains those otherwise not quite accepted as authentic/good Japanese foods by real Japanese people.

4: Dreaming in English

5; When I come home from being away, first thing to think is to put the kettle on and have a cuppa tea (and sigh)

6; When English speaker friends ask me for English grammar or spelling.

7; When I open conversation with people who aren't too close friends, I can't avoid talking about the weather.

8; I've never needed an umbrella just for a drizzle.

9: I feel suddenly hungry when I smell the vinegar on chips on streets.

10; When I pronounce Japanese words with English accent. (feel bit embarrassed though)

11; When I feel embarrassed to see silly groups of British hen/stag people abroad.

12; When I notice I am unconsciously supporting Brits for big international sports events.

13; When I put crisps (potato chips) inside sandwiches. And sandwich has to be accompanied by crisps.

14; I can have cuppa tea with dinner of any sorts. (I don't do this anymore though)

15; When I say "innit". (I say as a joke though)

16; When I can type in English about 25 times faster than in Japanese. (always)



The list can go on, so I will edit this again, I should write about the reversed version too ("When I feel I'm Japanese" etc)

x
shoko

2 comments:

reading said...

Well" concentrate on languages.Good start. Best of luck...

english school brighton

reading said...

Quite interesting! You have very good command over the English and you feel quite confident to translate Japanese to English and vice-versa efficiently...Expatriates