Tuesday 16 June 2009

YO LA TENGO: My Favourite band




Thanks to mister James McNew (Bass) who always arranges guestlist for me and my friend Dale. We went to see them last night play as a part of Ornette Coleman's Meltdown festival at Southbabk.

We last saw them do a "Sound of the sound of Science" (soundtracks to an old documentary of undersea creatures made by Jean Painleve (french Avan-garde film maker) at the festival hall in 2007.
James got us aftershow passes so we were excited to meet and chat to say thanks! but despite the fact passes which clearly written "aftershow" and "AAA" (All Access Area), there wasn't any party... though we asked several people and they all said the different places to go and some took us backstage area to find the party..
It was reminiscent to that for being the same Southbank, but this time there WAS an aftershow and we could have a good chat with James, though I again.. failed to say hi to Ira and Georgia who were right next to us... I'm shy..

 
This is where the party was held (before) it had this David Lynch air and loved it!

The show was intimate one with Q&A style with random audience questions and they answer and play songs (from simplified set of one acoustic guitar, bass, and drums, them sitting down) .
I was little disappointed first when I saw the set, for I love their electric set where Ira goes mental with his guitar like a little guitar kid. but it was really interacting cosy evening with YLT and they were funny and friendly. I personally loved the acoustic version of "Tom Couteney" and "Sugar Cubes", "Nowhere near", they also did covers for The Velvet Underground and The Fugs.

They are back in Novermber after the new album out in September (Matador).
James saud they'll be playing one day in London's Roundhouse in the beginning of November followed by 7-8 European countries.
I saw them (one of the best YLT show!!! I was dancing) in Spain at Primavera Sound Festival in end May, the last night, and I get to see them again this year, only makes my year happier :)))
I and Dale (who is also a great artist and musician) are thinking of (was my never-talked-about dream) putting a show for James to play a small solo show as Dump as his project as Dump is one of my favourite music around for a long time for me but he's never played shows as dump in UK (except one brief occasion in Glasgow with The Pastels 1998).
If this happens, it's be my day....
He seems to be into underground Japanese music and Dale is a friends with Tenniscoats etc and ahs a good network in Japanese music scene, and the perfect venue for this would be our friends' venue lovely Cafe Oto!

I'll keep posted if anything new happens.. but I just wanted to show some lovely images here and say thanks to the world's sweetest band Yo La Tengo again :)




No comments: