Monday 11 October 2010

Avocado, Fig and Pomegranate salad recipe

Ah how I love Salad...
It started off from trying to eat as much vegetables a day, trying different kinds and I ended up becoming obsessed with dressings and seasonal veges. I even throw in some crushed crisps when I have it for crunchy flavour.
Fried onion bits comes in a plastic tub for £0.90 ish is one of my all time salad topping I always stock as well.
Today I made a salad using fig, avocado, salad onion, cress, pine nuts, gem lettuce.
The combination is up to you, but I like to throw normally 2 special things apart from usual lettuce and onion.
Recommended combination
Avocado, sun dried tomato and pine nuts
Mozzarella, basil and sundried tomato
Avocado, tomato and pine nuts
Fig and cress or Fig and goat cheese
Grilled courgettes, onion
Roasted aubergine, roasted parsnip or carrot
Sundried tomato, mozzarella with Penne pasta
Prawns and avocado
Broccoli, carrot and  crispy bacon
etc list can go on..

Ok, Fig and Avocado salad that is today...
To make one big portion/or 2 as side


Salad
Gem lettuce small 2
1-2 spring onion chopped
some pomegranate (I used less than 1/4 of one)
1 medium ripe avocado
Half of salad cress from a package
1 ripe fig skinned and slighted thinly
some roasted pine nuts

dressing
1.5 tbl spoon mild vinegar (I used sushi vinegar)
1 tbl balsamicvinegar
1 tea spoon mild Dijon mustard
1 tea spoon honey
2-3 tbl spoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tea spoon lemon juice

To make the spring onion mild, I marinade in vinegar and honey first before any other things, then followed by mustard then all other dressing ingredients. Toss all the salad in. Don't mix salad with dressing until just before you eat it, otherwise it can get very soggy.

When it comes to olive oil, I am always in search of good ones as far as my budget can catch up with that is.., any recommend?
My favourite so far is, Carluccio's Lemon Olive Oil I was given for my birthday gift from Christina (thanks for introducing!!) It is purely, heavenly, perfectly FANTASTICO! I recommend this super highly. (on salad, seafood.. anything)

1 comment:

Dale Berning said...

ATP in Tokyo. in February... oh oh oh . how to make it there/??