Sunday 13 February 2011

Whitey "Canned Laughter" (2010) and before

After a while I am really digging some new-ish music and through Facebook fan page, I got hold of a Whitey's new album (released 2010).
I have first encountered Whitey aka Nathan J Whitey supporting Oneida in 2004 March at ICA and I was blown away by the performance. It was dark, I could hardly see what was happening on stage, but the rhythm and the obscure projection had such impact that I had to find out who it was the next day.
His "The light at the end of the tunnel is a train" album released on 1234 Records in 2005 is an album I absolutely love to this day, especially the ending album title tune is so special that I normally put this on my mixtape for the last track. It has dreamy/nostalgic quality of sound that makes me feel like I am dreaming and hearing this harp/record's needle sound as if I'm half awake/dreaming.
Personally, Whitey himself and this particular song is so under-rated (or non-rated!), but it is and will stay as one of my favourite tune of ALL TIMES.


Also "Non Stop" if I remember correctly, was used in a major TV commercial of Barclay Card. (A guy is running across the globe taking off his clothes) and another track used for VO5 hair products commercial on TV.

So when I found out, rather late, that he made another album in 2010 called "Canned Laughter", I was eager to get hold of it and although it has more electronica feel than lo-fi/pop that I love, I am completely hooked by it. Listening to one album constantly doesn't quite happen to me, only maybe 2-5 albums a year, so this is one of the rare ones.
Most tunes are electronica with some what I call a 'crying-riff" melody attached to it that it will play in my head from the moment I wake up and comfortably stay while I cycle humming the tunes.
He seem to DJ around London, but I hadn't seen him play as Whitey since the time at ICA in 2004..I passionately hope that he would play to showcase this album (as he's not signed to any label to promote shows/albums) soon.
You can listen to most of his wonderful tracks on his myspace page, and available from iTunes. Better buy than download so he can get fund to release more!
And this "Canned Laughter" available here.
There will be a v.2 version soon apparently he recorded/is recording? I can't wait!



No comments: